We have all had the feeling when cleaning up a room strewn with toys, wouldn’t it be nice if Fido could keep his own toys tidy. Well that is not impossible! Have a go with these training tips and see if you can have your dog put his/her own toys away when requested.
- Give your dog a toy and encourage him to hold it in his/her mouth with the cue “Take It” As soon as they have it, click the clicker and verbally praise them.
- Bring the toy box right next to you
- Call the dog over to you, so that if he/she released the toy in their mouth it will drop straight into the toy bucket. Praise them for coming over to you when called
- Repeat the steps above a few times and then ask them to “Leave It” or “Release”as they are standing over the toy box
- Gradually replace the two cues “Take It” and “Leave It” with one cue “Toys Away”
- Gradually build up the number of toys being used at one time
Adamals Top Tip: remember It will take lots of patience and practise, this is not something to be mastered in a day!